Sunday, November 7, 2010

Inspired By: The Series

Through my work and writing I've been fortunate enough to meet some pretty cool people. They're stylish, innovative, and downright inspiring. The best part is when my personal life and professional life come together and I get to work with friends. Such is the case with one of my oldest friends Kat, who's my favorite person to pow-wow with about industry news, insider gossip, and the latest runway shows featured on style.com. I always send her outfit options hoping for her honest opinion, and she always emails me asking what I thought of the latest collection she's worked on. It's just about as fun (and perfectly girly) as you can get. So since these lovely ladies are part of my everyday life, I am going to start sharing them with you. They'll lend their expertise and know-how in the same way that I'm sharing my own real-world advice. So stay tuned because Kat is just the beginning! 

 (Kat, pictured here in Paris for a Fabric Show, le sigh!)
 

Q) What is your job?
A) I am a fashion merchandiser who shops the market, develops product and analyzes trends. (We can't reveal all of her clients, but trust me, they're MAJOR!)

Q) Your favorite labels?
A) Isabel Marant, Proenza Schouler, Phillip Lim, Jenni Kayne, Topshop, Charlotte Ronson, J.Crew.

Q) Favorite piece in your closet?
A) This is so hard! It changes all the time but right now it's a great oversized army green canvas Topshop shirtdress. 

Q) Favorite budget find?
A) I love the new Gap Always Skinny Jeans. They fit perfectly. (Hint: I do too!)

Q) The greatest purchase you ever made?
A) A 1997 Velvet Prada Envelope Tote. Think Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. It was such a steal at the time too!

Q) Your top three tips to use when shopping?
A)  1. Research online before you leave. That way you will have a sense of what the stores will have in stock. (Great tip!)
      2. Get a separate email address for all of your online shopping and email blasts. This will keep it all in one place and you will be the first to know about sales. (I've also made sure that I don't have this email linked to my blackberry. I can't deal with JetBlue fare sales and Gilt sale fliers crowding my Inbox!)
      3. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed when you shop. Have a mental list of what you are looking for so that you can keep--and stay--focused.

Q) What is your favorite store and why?
A) Overall, I love Barneys. I know I can always find something different and interesting there. 

Q) Any last advice or words of wisdom for young women trying to develop their style?
A) Experiment with different styles and trends but know your body type. Not every trend is for everyone. I most certainly look terrible in jeggings! (I disagree!)


There you have it. Get inspired by Kat's style and keep checking back for more stylish ladies--and friends--in the coming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! Great post, Lex! Great advice, Kat!!!

    ReplyDelete