Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Retro Silhouette Revisited

Maybe because I saw Bridesmaids this weekend and Jon Hamm was in it, but I've been thinking of a Mad Men-ish retro silhouette lately (and yes, my train of thought is often that illogical). But sometimes that retro fits (i.e. plenty room for an ample bosom, cinched waist and flared "skater" skirt) seem a bit outdated on me. It looks like I rummaged through my grandmother's closet, but that I'm wearing something that is just that, meant for my grandmother and not me. So I love the way that Rachel Antonoff (an uber-cool "indy" ish designer) has updated the very popular shape but with a modern print to make it new. It still has the same vintage appeal but not in an "I'm playing dress-up" kind of way. The shapes and fits look like they were meant for you because they're still modern and fresh. A perfect twist on an already favorite.


(photo: courtesy of Fashionista)

No comments:

Post a Comment